Saturday, December 31, 2011

2012 is here! Did I sleep through 2011?

I'm not usually a "New Years Resolutions" kind of guy, but I was inspired today by reading the fine crime fiction and comic book writer Victor Gischler's blog at http://victorgischler.blogspot.com/.  


Victor is one of my favorite crime fiction writers and as I've told him in the past, I'd one day like to be a mix between him, James Ellroy and James Lee Burke. I think I'd be quite an amazing writer if I could accomplish that. Hell if I could write half as good as any of those three I'd be damn good! We all have to aspire to something right?
I'm a beginer when it comes to writing, but I sure love it when I get in that groove and churn out pages.  Holding down a full time job with a wife and two kids makes finding time to write a tough task. My writing time usually falls between 9pm and as long as I can stay awake. Sadly, 2011 was almost completely "writing free" for me, save for a couple of sessions working on a friends screenplay. I want to return to writing in 2012, so I'm making my 2012 resolutions now!

1. I want to make the time to write SOMETHING everyday. Most writing experts agree, this is a must if you're going to be a successful writer. I guess I should follow that rule.
2. I need to finish editing the two short crime stories I have written. I think they are decent stories and would like to try to submit them to one of the online crime fiction sites to see if they are worthy. Both stories are pulp noir and set in New Orleans.
3. Complete the re-writes of my short screenplays, "A Night Full of Blues" and "The Caper", both of which won Best Short Screenplay in a couple of national film festivals in 2008 and 2009. I like the screenplays as they are, but after not looking at them in awhile, I picked them up recently and read them again. Clearly there are flaws that can be improved.
4. Return to work on the feature screenplay I've been working on for about two years. This will be more difficult as I have really changed my opinion of this story. It may end up becoming a whole new screenplay.
5. I want to play more golf! I travel a good bit for work and should take some time to play a few rounds when I'm close to a nice course. This one should be very doable!
6. I need to lose 20 pounds! At 205, I'm not way fat or anything, I'd just look and feel much better at 185. This will take more exercise and a better diet. 


Here's hoping to success in 2012!!


Cheers!

1 comment: